14 October 2010

Providing Equal Access

In my technology class, we discussed providing equal access to technology to students. In my row of fellow students we talked about not assuming the kids have access at home. Therefore, no having them work on Glogster posters for homework. It is something to consider because we do just assume everyone has everything. I mean I have Internet, but I don't have cable. I think I'm the only person in the world who hasn't seen the Jersey Shore!

In my other group, a member brought up the fact that certain kids might not be as computer literate as their fellow peers. It is then our job as teachers to provide them with the training they need to become as proficient at they can. This just goes along with anything that's being taught these days. They have that same right to math, reading, and any other subject as well.

It's my understanding that education is a right and one that is well deserved. My only question is, and I'm only typing out loud here, I'm no expert and don't want to seem offensive, BUT...
There is only so much you can do in six hours. So. Let's say a teacher has said they are committed to being around after school for extra help. They have a mannequin to sit in for them at faculty meetings, they said they'd do home visits and bring a laptop. But the only kids coming are the ones who are good at computers. They hate Glogster and think they can create the next best thing. Yes, everyone has the right, but do the kids that are trying to take full opportunity of that right somehow getting shafted?

At my school, we had extended day for our struggling students. Before school, after school, social workers driving them to and from. Well, towards the end of the year some extra math money was found. "Anyone want to keep coming?" Not the students in the program, but the on or above level math lovers did. "ok." I say, but I can't get paid. Oh, well. They wanted a math club so badly, oh, those little faces! I did that math program with 8 kids, 5 of which were on free lunch. It took me hours of planning but they loved it! There were days we did problems that took me an entire Saturday to figure out that they did in 20 minutes. They are form poverty and they are diverse. So what, they are motivated and want out of Lowell. Don't get me wrong, I love all kids and do think they have potential in one thing or another, but we can't just focus on making everyone the same. We need to promote scholarly values and motivation and expose children to a range of subjects and skills so that they may find their own roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment