08 October 2010

I'm Liking the K12 Online Thing!

http://k12onlineconference.org/?p=463

I was so excited about the first k12 thing I watched, I decided to watch another. The first video I saw about the e books is becoming a project with a third grade class of a friend of mine. Great for me because she plans the lesson and I do the tech part. Now I get to practice!

This video was one called "Ways of Working" and it is like class in the sense of showing other free online tools to use to enhance learning in the classroom. Presenter Chris Betcher starts the video by brining up the point that when kids do research on the web, they hit up google and click the first site. Rather than discouraging the use of google, he illustrates how to use it more effectively. I thought this was a great idea. Instead of fighting it, or dismissing it, work google for all it has. Same with the use of mobile phones. It seems a constant war with students over the use of phones in school. He suggests some cool ways of making use of them for projects, like with photos and interviews.

One of my other favorite tricks he introduced to me was comic life.com. He said it was free but it turns out it isn't. It is inexpensive, however. 20 bucks will buy a copy for whole school access. Anyway,  you upload your pictures and then add little captions and speech balloons to them. A neat way to present a report about a field trip if you ask me.

Until next time. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment